Thursday, October 16, 2008

Freaky Friday


Halloween has always been my favorite holiday. I love the spookiness and mischief of that night at any age. The cold air and dark sky, everyone running in the streets dressed up. My five year old can't wait to put on her Hannah Montana costume, putting her hands in that "yucky pumpkin mush", and filling her bag with as much candy as humanly possible. My ten year old is planning her night with the girls. Organizing her friends, what streets the will hit and who will sleepover. I'm not sure what my thirteen year old is planning, but I'll bet it has to do with a role of toilet paper and a can of shaving cream... that's the one I'll be keeping an eye on. Last year one of his friends decided that he was going to egg something. He bragged to all of his friends and they quickly jumped at the chance to join in the fun. They spent most of the evening arguing over what they would throw the eggs at, a passing car, other kids, the school. A few of them wimped out pretty early on while others got annoyed fighting over what the plan would be. The boy finally lost his "gang" and ended up only having the courage to egg his own house, alone! His mother was home at the time so he spent the next day cleaning the mess. A Halloween he will never forget.

From babies dressed as pumpkins to dads carrying princesses on their shoulders, it's a great night to forget about the real world and enter into the imagination of children who still believe they can be whatever they want to be. Be safe, have fun, and enjoy the night!

No comments: